Saturday, April 4, 2009

Lessons From Yardwork...



Today was a beautiful day outside, so Matthew and Mason decided to do their annual re-mulching of the flower beds. I helped by ridding the porch and flower beds of all the pollen and leaves that had accumulated over the past several weeks. Ellie helped by showing moral support. As we were working Mason kept saying, "Momma, how does my job look? Momma, aren't I doing a good job with my shovel? Momma, isn't this such a big pile of leaves that I raked?" I think it's safe to say that, like most males, Mason's 'love language' is affirmation. So as I stood there repeating, "Yes, Mason, you are doing a great job! Yes, Mason, what a big pile of leaves you raked!, etc." it occurred to me that he is finding so much of his self-worth from these small day to day tasks that he helps us with--whether it be yardwork, cooking, or cleaning around the house--all of which he loves to take part in. And then I felt a twinge of guilt as I thought about the times that I refuse his offers to help, because after all, I can get things done twice as fast when I'm not supervising his little helping hands. So now as I think of him enjoying the day, working in the yard with Mom and Dad, and taking pride in his own hard work, I pray that I'll never forget to slow down and savor every moment that I have to build my childrens' self-worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment