Saturday, October 9, 2010

Moving Day...

Today was moving day in our house...well, at least for the kids it was.  With the anticipation of Mollie's arrival in just over 2 weeks, Matthew and I have had to figure out how to arrange the kids' bedrooms, now that we'll have more kids than we have extra bedrooms.  Inevitably, two of the three have to share now.  But figuring out which ones has been a little difficult.  The obvious thing to do would be to put the girls together, but since Ellie and Mason were not good sleepers as babies (neither slept through the night until a year or more) we are not expecting that Mollie will be either.  Ellie is still a very light sleeper and wakes at the slightest noise.  It can also take awhile to get her back to sleep, so we are hesitant to put her in a room with a new baby who wakes multiple times a night.  Mason is the easy one--he could put himself to sleep, and sleep like a rock until the sun comes up.  So by default, we've decided to let Ellie and Mason become temporary roommates...starting tonight.  At first, Mason was really excited about sharing a room with his little sis.  But recently she's been having some rough nights, and naturally, this has caused Mason to feel a little concerned about his sleep being disrupted.  But he has been a real trooper through this transition.  He even helped me haul books, toys, and clothes from one room to the other all morning without one single complaint.  And by this evening when it was bedtime, he was actually excited again to be in the room with her. 

It has also been a very daunting task to try and figure out how to make a shared bedroom for a nearly 6-year-old boy and 2-year-old girl look even remotely cute, let alone match, without spending tons of money.  This is only a temporary arrangement, so I didn't want to invest a lot of money on things that would not even be used a year or so from now.  But thanks to Target, I was able to find some inexpensive bedding for Ellie that blended with Mason's things.  So even though it is definitely a 'boy' room, I was able to make a little feminine space for her too.  Besides, Ellie has never been much of a girly girl, and she's so accustomed to being around her brother's things, I don't think it will faze her one bit.  Here is the finished product.  It's nothing fancy, but I feel like I accomplished my goal of making it economical...and match!




No comments:

Post a Comment