Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Take Me Out To The Ballgame...

Yesterday my dad treated his kids and grandkids to a day at the ballpark.  For as long as I can remember, my dad and his brothers have been huge Houston Astro fans--passing their love for the team down to my cousins and me as well.  As a young girl, my dad took me to quite a few games.  While other girls dreamed of someday becoming princesses or ballerinas, my dream was to become the first female Astro player!  (Cheesy, but true.)  There was even a period in my life where my room was completely decorated in the (then) Astro rainbow colors of navy blue, red, orange, and yellow.  And when I say "decor", what I really mean is handmade drawings and pictures made from colored construction paper and scotch tape--very gaudy!  I was so excited to go to the game today, because I hadn't been in quite a few years.  It was definitely different than the last time I saw the Astros play--a different ballpark, different team colors, and some players' names that I hardly recognized.  (Gone are the days I remember of Jose Cruz, Alan Ashby, Mike Scott, Nolan Ryan, and Glen Davis at the Astrodome.)  But just being there brought back a ton of memories, and for a brief second I thought maybe, just maybe, I can still reach my goal of being the first female Astro.  But then I quickly snapped back into reality, realizing that, unless they are looking for their first girl player to be 32 and probably older than many of the players on the team; in her 3rd pregnancy, and most assuredly not in the best shape of her life; I probably won't be a likely candidate.  Even still, I had a great time watching my son attend his very first major league baseball game.  It was a long game, lasting 3 1/2 hours, but he hung in there and attentively watched the entire thing.  Although he was pretty disapponted that he didn't catch any foul balls, as close as we were sitting to the field.  Here he is with Matthew with his glove on before the game, ready to catch some balls!
 
Poppa, Matthew, and Mason
Mason and my niece, Emma, both showing off their missing teeth.  Ironically, she lost her first tooth 6 days before Mason did last week!

1 comment:

  1. I remember your ASTRO loving days!!! When you changed the decor in your room from Astros to something a bit different I scrapped tape and filled nail holes for the longest so we could paint the room!! I loved that Astro stage!!!Your dad especially loved your Astro stage!!! Dad enjoyed taking you all to the game that day. It was special for him!!! We love you much!!!

    ReplyDelete